Wednesday 3 July 2019

Final Girl, inaccessible stuff from the past, porting old reviews to IFDB

There was a topic on intfiction.org recently where someone was asking if it was possible to play Hanon Ondricek's StoryNexus horror game from IFComp 2013, Final Girl, amongst other games. The short answer for Final Girl is: no.

Someone else commented they felt lucky to have played the game at the time. I realised I also felt that way, and I enjoyed my memory of this thing that I can't guarantee I will have access to again, though there are rumblings of a remounting from the author.

This in turn led me to look at the IFDB page for Final Girl, from which my original blogged review of the game was linked. However, in a fashion similar to what had happened to the game, tech change or rot had occurred, so the link didn't work.

This was more easily repairable than Final Girl itself – I just updated the link. But it made me realise all my other links from that vintage have probably broken in the same fashion. Then, at risk of repeating the phrase 'This in turn led me to...' ... this in turn led me to think that, in a fashion similar to previous sweeps of review transference to IFDB that I've done, I should do a new sweep of review transference from old blogs to IFDB.

Looking at reviews I hadn't ported yet, I could see in each case there was usually some apparent reason I hadn't done it. Some had to do with spoilery-ness (which usually has to be couched in tags on IFDB) or contemporary-ness (they'd make less sense outside of IFComp) or over technical-ness for IFDB, at least in my own opinion (my review of Ollie Ollie Oxen Free was mostly a long critique on the implementation, and I don't know if the game has been updated from the comp version I played).

Just the passing of time has dealt with some of the issues above, whether for real or just in my mind, so I've started porting another selection of unported reviews to IFDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment